Illegal Dumping Litter Abatement Program

Know of an illegal dump site in Tehama County?

The Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (Agency) has a new program to assist residents and community groups that are cleaning up illegally dumped waste on public land and public rights-of-way along the roads in Tehama County. If you, or your community group, would like to clean this site the Agency will provide a voucher for the cost of the waste disposal when brought to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill. In addition to the cost of the waste disposal, the Agency will also lend out litter grabbers and gloves, as well as provide garbage bags for the waste. Please make an effort to separate recyclable items for recycling at the landfill, or for cashing in at a redemption center. You can review the policy below for more details.

Illegal Dumping Litter Abatement Program Policy

To obtain a voucher, follow these steps:

  1. Contact the Agency at (530) 528-1103, or by email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (Must contact Agency 72 hours prior to cleanup event).
  2. Once the Agency has confirmed that the cleanup is located on public land you will be contacted to pickup the voucher.
  3. Vouchers can be picked up at the Agency office, 20000 Plymire Road, Red Bluff, CA during the appointment time given.
  4. If you require garbage bags, litter grabbers, or gloves please inform the Agency before picking up the voucher.
  5. Bring waste from cleanup event to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill during normal hours of operation, surrender voucher to scale house attendant.

Certain limitations apply:

  • Each voucher may only be used for one (1) pickup truck/carload or trailer with a capacity of no more than 20 cubic yards.
  • Voucher recipients are limited to two (2) vouchers per cleanup site/event unless authorized by the Agency.
  • Voucher(s) shall not be used as garbage disposal service, or for cleaning out garbage from public agencies, businesses and/or homes. 
  • All waste must meet the Landfill's waste acceptance criteria.
  • All hazardous waste must be transported to a scheduled collection event, voucher is not required for hazardous waste.
  • Not more than nine (9) tires will be transported per load unless authorized by Tehama County Department of Environmental Health.
  • All loads must be tarped and secured for transport. The Agency will not pay for untarped load fees.
  • Access is limited to Tehama County residents only, proof of residency is required. All abatement sites must be in Tehama County and cannot be on private land.
  • The Agency reserves the right to exclude any person, group or organization from utilizing the Program.

Tehama County Pharmaceutical Drug and Medical Waste Sharps Collection Program


FREE and ANONYMOUS pharmaceutical drug disposal is now available year-round for Tehama County residents.

In partnership with the Tehama County Health Services Agency, Tehama County Department of Education, Tehama County Sheriff's Department, Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency and the Corning Police Department, two permanent pharmaceutical drug collection kiosks are now installed at the following locations:


Tehama County Sheriff's Department 22840 Antelope Blvd, Red Bluff, CA 96080 

  • Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM

Corning Police Department 774 3rd Street, Corning, CA 96021,

  • Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-6PM


Check out the Butte and Tehama Counties Medication Disposal White Board Video for more information!


FREE Home-Generated Medical Waste Sharps Disposal for Tehama County Residents

Did you know it is against the law to dispose of needles, lancets or any device that pierces the skin in the trash or recycling?  The law helps protect solid waste employees and the environment. Tehama County residents can dispose of their sharps Free of Charge using free sharps containers.

By law, businesses can not participate and must have their sharps picked up by a medical waste hauler.

Residents follow the EASY instructions below:



No hassles, and it helps us all live in a safer environment.  It’s easy, FREE, and there is no paperwork!


Step 1:  Pick up a free sharps container at one of the following locations:




1.Tehama County Health Services Agency Outpatient Clinic

        1850 Walnut St., RB Mon-Fri 8:00 am - 5:00 pm 

2.Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill

        19995 Plymire Rd., RB Mon - Fri 8:00 - 4:30 and Sat & Sun 8:00 - 2:30 

3.Tehama County Health Services Agency - Corning Office

        275 Solano St., Corning Mon - Thurs 8:00-12:and 1:00-5:00 

4.St. Elizabeth Hospital (Front Desk) 

       2550 Sister Mary Columba Dr., Red Bluff 

5.Rancho Tehama Transfer Station 

       17715 Rancho Tehama Rd., RT 

6.Latimer’s Pharmacy

       7885 Hwy 99E Los Molinos

7.Bowman Road Fire Station 

       18355 Bowman Rd. Cottonwood

8.Corning Fire Department (inside)

         814 5th Street, Corning




Step 2:  Once you have placed your used needles into your sharps container(s), drop it into one of the kiosks conveniently located below:

sharps kiosk

1.Bowman Road Fire

         18355 Bowman Rd., Cottonwood

2. Latimer’s Pharmacy (inside)

       7885 Hwy 99E, Los Molinos

3. St. Elizabeth Hospital Campus Coyne Center 

       2550 Sister Mary Columba Dr., Red Bluff

4. Tehama County / Red Bluff Landfill    

       19995 Plymire Rd., Red Bluff

5. Tehama County Health Services Agency Medical Clinic

       1850 Walnut St., Red Bluff

6. Rancho Tehama Transfer Station 

       17715 Rancho Tehama Rd., Rancho Tehama

7. Corning HHW Facility at Corning Disposal 

       3281 Highway 99W, Corning

8.  Corning Fire Department (inside)

        814 5th Street, Corning

Loose needles or lancets can NOT be placed into the kiosks.

Residents MUST place their sharps into a medically approved sharps container and then place the container into the kiosk. 


Mail Back Services


In addition to the Tehama County Medical Waste Sharps Collection Program, some manufacturers provide a FREE sharps mail back service for users of their products.  This convenient service provides the sharps disposal container and the pre-paid shipping box.  The following manufacturers provide this service:


  1.  Patients can sign up for the free Sharps (needles) Mail-Back service on HUMIRA’s website or toll-free number at 1-800­-448-6472.
  2.  Information about the Sharps Mail Back Program is available on the ENBREL Support™ website at: and through the  ENBREL Support™ Call Center at 1-888-436-2735.


Bristol-Myers. Sharps containers and return boxes can be requested for patients on ORENCIA®.      
                         Call 1-800-ORENCIA or log on to



EMD Serono Inc. California residents who take Rebif may enroll in a sharps mail back program
                              by calling 1-877-447-3243.


Janssen Biotech, Inc.  People treating with SIMPONI® can get information on SimponiOne® Safe Returns® by calling 1-877-697-4676 or log on to .


UCB Inc.  Sharps Disposal by Mail System program support is available by calling 1-866-424­-4942 or log on to



The following Manufacturers Do Not Offer Free Mail Back Service At This Time:


CSL Behring
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Eisai, Inc.
Eli Lilly and Company
JHP Pharmaceuticals, LLC
Kadmon Pharmaceuticals
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals
Sandoz Inc.
Sanofi-Aventis U.S. LLC
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
ViroPharma Incorporated


If you don't qualify for a free mail back program, the following mail-back services are approved by the California Department of Public Health:


GRP & Associates (800) 207-0976
Republic Services
Sharps Compliance, Inc. (800) 772-5657
Stericycle, Inc. (800) 355-8773 or (800) 527-0666
WCM (Waste & Compliance Management, Inc.)
Homes Sharps Disposal (877) 436-9264
Waste Management MedWaste Tracker
MedPro Waste Disposal

Please note these mail-back services are not free.


Physicians offices, dental offices and hospitals which create a large volume of medical and infectious waste may not dispose of these wastes in the trash.  The California Department of Health Services Medical Waste Management Program regulates businesses in Tehama County which generate medical and infectious waste.  For more information on proper disposal of these wastes, contact the California Department of Health Services Waste Management Program at (916) 449-5671 (fax: 916-449-5665).


For more information on proper disposal of medical wastes other than sharps, contact the California Department of Health Services Waste Management Program at (916) 449-5671 (fax: 916-449-5665).







Upcoming Events List


Calendar of Events by Date

 Note: Please scroll to the bottom for event details and a description

March 4   Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (JPA II) Executive Committee meeting
  13   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill HHW Facility
  27   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Corning Disposal HHW Facility
      Electronic Waste Collection *SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
April 4   Landfill Closed
  5   Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (JPA II) Full Board meeting
  10   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill HHW Facility

Free Passenger Tire Collection Event 8AM - 12PM

  • Corning Park & Ride Corner of Third St. & Solano St., Corning
  • Evergreen Middle School Parking Lot 19500 Learning Way, Cottonwood
  • Manton and Rancho Tehama Transfer Stations
  • All tires must be 17" or smaller and Off-the-Rim to be accepted
  24   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Corning Disposal HHW Facility
      Electronic Waste Collection *SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE*
May 6   Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (JPA II) Executive Committee meeting
  8   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill HHW Facility
  15   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Corning Disposal HHW Facility
  22   Household Hazardous Waste Collection - Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill HHW Facility 





Household Hazardous Waste Collection events are for Tehama County residents and businesses only. View our brochures for more information on our Household Hazardous Waste (English Spanish), Battery Collection (English  Spanish) and CFL Collection (English  Spanish) programs.

What to bring: fluorescent light bulbs, transmission fluid, grease, pesticides, fertilizers, oil-based paints, stains, pool & spa chemicals, detergents, disinfectants, old gasoline, kerosene, cresote, tar, lead-based paint, aerosol cans, propane cylinders (small only), acids, bases, such as drain cleaner, tub & tile cleaner, etching products and solvents. Keep all waste in original containers, 15 gallons or 50 pounds load limit per DOT.

What NOT to bring: food waste, garbage, yard waste, roofing, concrete, appliances, televisions, monitors, railroad ties, paper, cardboard, medical waste, explosives and construction wastes such as drywall, glass, etc.

Where: Held on certain days at the following locations:

  • Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill HHW Facility 19995 Plymire Road, Red Bluff
  • Corning Disposal HHW Facility 3281 Highway 99W, Corning

Who & What Time:

  • Residential    8:00AM - 12:00PM FREE drop-off. Donations welcome. 
  • Businesses  12:00PM - 2:30PM Businesses and government agencies must make an appointment in advance. Call 528-1103 to schedule. Small Fees apply.

Electronic Waste Collection events are suspended until further notice are held the last Saturday of each month at the below locations and, but electronic waste is still accepted every day during normal landfill hours at the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill. 

What to Bring: ALL size televisions, ALL computer equipment including printers and monitors, DVD and VCR's, fax machines, along with other small electronic items will be accepted during the event. Microwaves are no longer accepted at this event, please bring them to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill at no charge.


  • Red Bluff: Tehama County Department of Social Services 310 S. Main Street, Red Bluff  Suspended until further notice
  • Corning: Park and Ride commuter parking lot (across from Corning City Hall) Corner of Solano Street and Third Street, Corning Suspended until further notice

There is no limit to the number of items that can be brought to this event. Hazardous waste and large appliances will not be accepted during the event.

Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (JPA II) Full Board meetings are at 8:30 AM (except for special meetings) in the Tehama County Board of Supervisors Chambers at 727 Oak St., Red Bluff. 

Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency (JPA II) Executive Committee meetings are at 5:30 PM at either the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency Office or Corning City Council Chambers. 

Tehama County Integrated Waste Management Task Force (TCIWMTF) meetings are held at 4:00 PM in the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency Office at 20000 Plymire Road, Red Bluff. 

Passenger Tire Collection Event 8:00AM - 12:00PM on select dates and locations. Please note the following restrictions:

  • No tires larger than 17" 
  • No truck OR equipment tires
  • Tires must be off the rim
  • No more than nine tires per load per the Department of Transportation

Agricultural Tire Collection Event is the entire month of February.

Appointments are required with a maximum of six agricultural tires accepted for disposal per address. To make an appointment call 528-1103. 

Tires are to be dropped-off at the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill in Red Bluff during Agency operating hours (Monday - Friday) with an appointment. For acceptable tire sizes, contact the Agency at 528-1103.

Pharmaceutical Drug Take-Back is held on select dates during certain times at select locations. Properly dispose of expired, uwanted, or unused prescription drugs and other medications. Please note, the free collection is anonymous (no identification is required nor will be requested) and only prescription and over the counter solid dosage medications, i.e. tablets and capsules, are accepted. Liquid products, such as cough syrup, should remain sealed in their original containers. Intra-venous solutions, injectables, needles and illicit substances such as marijuana or methamphetamine are not part of this initiative and WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. For needle disposal site information, call the Agency at 528-1103.

For event information, contact the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency at 528-1103. 

Mandatory Commercial Recycling FAQ

Why does my business have to recycle? 

Recycling of targeted materials is required by law for most businesses and governmental agencies. The County encourages businesses to reduce, reuse recycle, and rebuy products made of recycled content. 

Who is affected by the Mandatory Recycling Law?

All California businesses, including governmental agencies that produce 4 cubic yards or more of solid waste including recyclables per week must recycle.  Multi-family dwellings, including but not limited to, apartments, condominiums, and mobile home parks of 5 units or more must also recycle.  

How do I know if I generate more than 4 cubic yards of solid waste per week?

Check your current waste hauling bill or call your hauler (for County of Tehama or Red Bluff call (530) 528-8500 for the City of Corning call (530) 824-4700), if you are not sure of your bin size.

One cubic yard is equivalent to 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet of waste. Four cubic yards equals to about (27) 30 gallon trash bags.

Please note, if your business has bins that provide an equivalent capacity you are required to recycle (i.e., if you have a 2 cubic yard bin and it is picked up twice a week, then you are required to recycle).

If you self-haul your waste to the landfill and you produce four or more cubic yards of waste and recyclables per week you are required to recycle.  Please call (530) 528-1103 for assistance.

What are the benefits of this law?  

¬  The more recyclable materials a business can divert from their trash, the greater the potential savings and/or reduction in costs. 

¬  According to 2008 Statewide Waste Characterization data, the commercial sector generates nearly three-fourths of the solid waste in California. Most of the commercial sector waste disposed in landfills is recyclable. 

¬  Recycling reduces emissions of methane, air toxics, and criteria pollutants from landfills. 

¬  Recycling frees up space in the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill. 

¬  The more businesses and residents recycle, the greater the ability for the Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency to meet the statewide recycling goal of 75% of by 2020. 

To see how recycling can benefit your business through reduced waste disposal costs and reductions in related emissions, click here to access CalRecycle's Commercial Climate Calculator

How can businesses save and/or reduce monthly service charges?
To give you a picture, in November 2012 Bud’s Jolly Cone in Red Bluff explored various options for cost savings while complying with the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Ordinance.

Their usual service was: (1) 2cy bin @2x/week of Trash = $204.52 per month

Three options were considered using GreenWaste of Tehama commercial service:

  1.  @ 50% Recycling….

      1 2cy@1x/wk of Trash = $103.32

      1 2cy@1x/wk of Recycling= $51.52

      Total Cost = $154.55 per month

Savings of $49.97 per month

  1. @ 75% Recycling…

      1 1 cy@1x/wk of Trash = $61.78

      1 3cy@1x/wk of Recycling= $73.56

      Total Cost = $135.34

Savings of $69.18 per month

  1. @ 25% Recycling…

      1 3cy@1x/wk of Trash = $147.12

      1 1cy@1x/wk of Recycling = $30.89

      Total Cost = $178.01

Savings of $26.51  per month

Bud’s Jolly Cone chose option 1 that best fit their business needs and reduced their per month service charge by $49.97. By using this option Bud’s Jolly Cone is being a leader by recycling 50% of their waste stream. Thanks Bud’s Jolly Cone!

Where can I find more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Law? 

For more information on the Mandatory Commercial Recycling Law (AB 341) please see the California Resources, Recycling, and Recovery (CalRecycle) website. 

Who can I contact for recycling services? 

GreenWaste of Tehama (for Red Bluff and the unincorporated County) (530) 528-8500 –offers single stream recycling (all recycling in one bin; sorting of glass, plastic, paper, cans, etc. into separate bins is NOT required) This is the easiest of options, but there are small fees.

Waste Management (City of Corning only) (530) 824-4700 –offers single stream recycling (all recycling in one bin; sorting of glass, plastic, paper, cans, etc. into separate bins is NOT required) This is the easiest of options, but there are small fees.

North Valley Services  (530) 527-0407 (Free -paper recycling only).

Self Haul -You can also self-haul your recyclables to the Tehama County/Red Bluff Landfill Recycling Facility. Source separated recyclables are FREE to drop off, please call (530) 528-1102 for details.

California Redemption Value (CRV) Collection Centers – Provide deposit refunds for cans and bottles. Some CRV centers collect other recyclables for free, call the specific recycling center for details. 

What steps are required to comply? 

The law does not state which waste types must be recycled, but some waste types are easier to recycle than others. Your business must:

Separate your recyclable materials from your trash and taking them to a CRV collection center or to the Tehama County Landfill Recycling Facility.


  Subscribe to a service for the collection of recyclables by a permitted hauler mentioned above. 

What support is available to assist me in meeting the requirements of the law

Tehama County Solid Waste Management Agency’s Recycling Coordinator can conduct free business waste assessments to help businesses identify how they can implement their own recycling programs. In some instances we can also offer 3 free months of free recycling service while we ‘right size’ your waste and recycling containers. We also offer free office and cafeteria recycling containers, while supplies last. We are here to help you. Recycling is EASY and SAVES MONEY!

I have a food and beverage service establishment. Do my customers have to recycle too?

Your business is required to recycle, if you produce 4 or more cubic yards of waste per week. It is up to you to determine, if you will require your customers to do the recycling or if you will do the recycling for them.

Easy items to recycle include aluminum, steel cans and beverage containers; all colors of glass food and beverage containers; empty plastic food and beverage containers #1-#7, including water bottles; and all cardboard boxes. Polystyrene (styrofoam) is not recyclable in Tehama County.  Call (530) 528-1103 for details.

We are here to assist you!

Agricultural Collection Programs


Agricultural Community ~ Recycling Collection Programs 


  Agricultural Plastics - accepted at the Landfill free of charge year round during normal Landfill business hours. Triple-rinsed pesticide containers up to 55 gallons in size are accepted. All 35-55 gallon sized plastic drums must be properly rinsed, quartered and free of handles, lids and labels to be accepted.