Effective July 1, 2003, pursuant to California Health & Safety Code Section 103526, only specific individuals are permitted to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a birth or death record. An AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a birth record is required to obtain a driver's license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individual's identity. An AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a death record may be required to obtain death benefits, claim insurance proceeds, notify social security and other services related to an individual's identity. Individuals who are authorized to receive unrestricted certified copies of birth and death records are as follows:
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
- Any funeral director that orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health & Safety Code.
**Effective January 1, 2014 the fee for a Birth Certificate will increase to $25.00 and Death Certificates increase to $21.00**
To expedite the process go to www.vitalchek.com to submit your request
IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE CRITERIA OF AN AUTHORIZED INDIVIDUAL, YOU WILL RECEIVE A CERTIFIED COPY OF THE BIRTH OR DEATH RECORD MARKED "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY."
The fee for each birth certificate is $25.00 The fee for each marriage certificate is $15.00 The fee for each death certificate is $21.00
Mail your signed and notarized application to:
Tehama County Recorder P. O. Box 250 Red Bluff, CA 96080
Please do not send cash. Send the appropriate application, which has been signed under penalty of perjury and ACKNOWLEDGED BY A NOTARY PUBLIC, along with a check or money order, payable to the County of Tehama for the appropriate fee AND A SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED ENVELOPE. The cost for searching a record is not refundable if the record is not found. Please allow 2 working days, after receipt, to process your request.
You may obtain a certified copy of the vital records on file in Tehama County in person by coming into the Recorder's Office at 633 Washington Street, Room 11. The certificate will be prepared for you at that time after completion of the In-Person Application for Certified Copies WHICH IS SIGNED UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY and payment of fees.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL REQUESTS FOR BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATES MUST BE CONCERNING THOSE WHOSE BIRTH OR DEATH OCCURRED IN TEHAMA COUNTY ONLY